New England in brief

Patrick asks US official to raise fish limit

May 29, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • Reprints|
  • |
Text size +

Patrick asks US to raise fish catch limit
Governor Deval Patrick is asking the federal government to raise the catch limit on a key fish stock. In a letter yesterday, Patrick asked US Commerce Secretary Gary Locke to reset the catch limit on pollock “as high as possible while avoiding overfishing.’’ Fishermen complain the pollock limit was set so low that they will exceed it long before the season is over. Pollock has become a key stock since tough new rules introduced strict catch limits for each Northeast groundfish species. If fishermen exceed their limit on one species, they must stop fishing for all species. A Commerce Department spokeswoman said if the full scientific review indicates the catch limit can be raised, Locke would instruct regulators to do so. (AP)

Late-night kayaker is dunked, assisted
A man kayaking after dark off Thompson Island found himself overboard in Boston Harbor on Thursday night but was able to make it to shore, where he was found by rescuers, State Police said. Troopers got a 10:18 p.m. call from Quincy police for a kayaker in distress, said State Police Sergeant Matthew Murray. The man, whose name was not released, was on an overnight fishing and camping trip, Murray said. He was speaking by cellphone to a family member when the call disconnected. The relative called 911, Murray said. State troopers arrived in a patrol vessel within minutes and used infrared technology and night vision goggles to locate the man on the beach, Murray said. The man blamed a riptide for his dunking and said he was in the water for 20 to 30 minutes, Murray said. He was treated by emergency medical personnel at Marina Bay in Quincy.

Spouse accused of attack on MGH patient
A Plymouth man has been arrested for allegedly trying to strangle his wife at Massachusetts General Hospital, a Boston police spokesman said. Officer Eddy Chrispin said hospital police officers placed John J. Riley, 60, under arrest shortly before 4 p.m. after workers observed him placing both hands around the neck of his 66-year-old wife, who was a patient at the hospital, in an apparent effort to strangle her. Riley was charged with assault with intent to murder, assault and battery under the state’s domestic violence statute, and assault and battery on a person over 65, Chrispin said. Riley is to be arraigned on Tuesday in Boston Municipal Court.

18-year-old is city’s 24th homicide victim
A teenager was fatally shot yesterday afternoon on Creston Street in Roxbury, police said. Officers responded to 24 Creston St. shortly before 2 p.m., where they found an 18-year-old male suffering from multiple gunshot wounds, police said in a statement. The victim, whose name was withheld last night pending family notification, was taken to Boston Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead. A police spokesman said the shooting was the city’s 24th homicide this year. Police urge anyone with information to call the Homicide Unit at 617-343-4470 or the anonymous tip line at 1-800-494-TIPS.

Mother is cited for SUV-stroller mishap
A mother was cited for carelessness yesterday after she left her baby in a stroller and accidentally hit it with her sport utility vehicle, authorities said. The newborn appeared uninjured. According to a police report, at about 1 p.m., witnesses said, the woman, whom police did not identify, placed her 19-day-old baby in a stroller and left it behind her Chevrolet Suburban on Tower Street in Jamaica Plain. The woman then backed up her vehicle, hitting the stroller and pinning it between her SUV and a Toyota that was parking on the street behind her, before the stroller fell over, police said. The child was taken to Children’s Hospital for observation, authorities said.

Officials investigate school bus vandalism
Police and school officials are trying to find out who deflated the tires on nearly two dozen school buses, forcing about 3,000 Attleboro students to find alternate ways to school yesterday morning. The tires on 23 buses were deflated Thursday night, leaving students in prekindergarten through 12th grades without transportation, Superintendent Pia Durkin said. “This was an egregious issue that really disrupted the lives of thousands of families and children, and it will not be taken lightly,’’ Durkin said.

Connect with

Twitter Follow us on @BostonUpdate, other Twitter accounts