New England in brief

Dorchester man arrested in fatal shooting

April 9, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • Reprints|
  • |
Text size +

A Dorchester man has been arrested in connection with the March 29 shooting death of a Hyde Park resident, police said. Mario H. Burns, 37, was apprehended last night near the intersection of Ansel Road and Ashton Street in Mattapan and charged with being an accessory after the fact to the killing of Charles Cantave, 36, said police spokesman Eddy Chrispin. On March 29, around 10:50 a.m., Cantave was found suffering from several gunshot wounds in his car at a church parking lot on Washington Street in Dorchester. He was pronounced dead at the scene. No other arrests have been made.

Francis Hatch, ex-legislator, dies at 85
Francis W. Hatch Jr., a former Republican state legislator and onetime gubernatorial candidate, died yesterday at his Back Bay home. His family said the 85-year-old Hatch died of a bacterial infection. A former reporter and insurance company executive, Hatch was a state representative in Essex County from 1962 to 1978, and was the minority leader for the last eight years of that period, according to the Massachusetts Historical Society. In 1978, Hatch, a liberal Republican, lost his party’s gubernatorial nomination at the Republican convention, but went on to win the primary against Edward F. King. He lost the general election to former Massport director Edward J. King, who had defeated Michael S. Dukakis, the incumbent governor, in the Democratic primary.

Bill to merge business agencies advances
The Senate voted 37-0 yesterday to approve a measure streamlining and merging the state’s economic development agencies and requiring those agencies to comply with new accountability measures. Supporters said the bill would weed out waste in those agencies and force state government to more seriously address the needs of businesses, including efforts to secure capital and expand workforce and plants. Critics said it did not go far enough to address longstanding issues of business costs in the state. The bill now goes to the House. (State House News Service)

Lynch critic decides not to challenge him
A critic of US Representative Stephen F. Lynch has decided not to challenge the South Boston Democrat in his reelection bid. Harmony Wu, a Needham resident, has denounced Lynch’s vote against the health care plan pushed by President Obama and had considered running against him in the Democratic primary this fall. Wu said in a statement that family considerations prompted her to forgo such a campaign. “The support and excitement for my potential candidacy indicates very clearly that it is past time for Mr. Lynch to be held accountable for his decisions as our representative,’’ she said. Lynch has held the seat for the Ninth Congressional District since 2001.

Chelsea man arrested after police chase
A Chelsea man was arrested last night, police said, after he led officers on a chase from that city into Everett, striking two cruisers and waving a bottle of liquor at them. Ezequiel Cardoso, 29, of Chelsea was arrested on two counts of assault by means of a dangerous weapon and operating under the influence, among other charges, according to police. He is scheduled to be arraigned today in Chelsea District Court. Cardoso eventually crashed into a State Police cruiser at the intersection of Routes 16 and 99 in Everett, where he was apprehended, said Chelsea Police Captain Keith Houghton.

Girl, 4, hospitalized after tractor mishap
A 4-year-old girl was hospitalized yesterday after being trapped against a wall by a tractor in Holliston, according to the Holliston Fire Department. Her condition was not known last night. Rescuers responded to a home on Highland Street, where the unidentified girl was trapped shortly after 1 p.m., the Fire Department said. The girl was pinned by a motorized aerator that weighed about 400 pounds, said Fire Chief Michael Cassidy. The girl, who was at her grandparents’ house when the accident occurred, was airlifted to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

Connect with

Twitter Follow us on @BostonUpdate, other Twitter accounts