THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

No injuries in house fires

Firefighters battle a three-alarm blaze on Pickwick Road in Newton. Firefighters battle a three-alarm blaze on Pickwick Road in Newton. (John M. Guilfoil for The Boston Globe)
By John M. Guilfoil and Christopher Girard
Globe Correspondents / December 21, 2009

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • Reprints|
  • |
Text size +

NEWTON - Firefighters battled the elements as well as several house fires yesterday, including multialarm fires in Newton and western Massachusetts.

Smaller fires were reported in homes in Brockton and Dennis.

No injuries were reported and investigators were trying to determine causes.

It wasn’t clear if the bad weather was a direct factor, but State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan last night repeated his oft-stated warnings about the dangers of improper use of space heaters, candles, and fireplaces during cold weather.

In Newton, a two-story house on Pickwick Road was ravaged by a three-alarm fire that broke out around 9:30 p.m. Fire crews were on the scene for several hours trying to control the blaze. Flames could be seen jutting out from a room above the garage an hour after firefighters arrived.

The residents at 91 Pickwick Road escaped and took shelter at their next-door neighbors’ home. They did not want to talk to reporters.

In Turners Falls, a village of about 4,000 in northwestern Massachusetts, Coan said a six-alarm fire at 24 Grand Ave. destroyed a multistory, two-family house and an attached barn. All the residents escaped, but firefighters from 14 surrounding towns were fighting the blaze well into the night, said Turners Falls firefighter Bob Fritz.

Around noon yesterday, a fire started by a faulty extension cord caused about $60,000 worth of damage to a two-family home at 557 Ash St. in Brockton.

A fire at 484 Main St. in Dennis at 9:14 last night caused heavy smoke damage and destroyed the kitchen and storage room of an 18th-century home, fire officials said.

John M. Guilfoil can be reached at jguilfoil@globe.com

Photo Gallery