New England in brief

Brandeis agrees to delay sale of artwork

October 14, 2009

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • Reprints|
  • |
Text size +

A Suffolk Probate Court judge denied yesterday a motion to dismiss a lawsuit filed by three members of the Rose Art Museum’s board of overseers to prevent Brandeis University from closing the museum and selling the artwork, said Edward Terry Dangel, attorney for the plaintiffs. At the hearing, the university agreed it would not sell any of the artwork donated by the plaintiffs, prominent museum benefactors Meryl Rose, Jonathan Lee, and Lois Foster. Brandeis also agreed to give the attorney general a 30-day notice and an opportunity for review if it decides to sell any artwork donated by others.

88 state legislators endorse Coakley
Forty four percent of Massachusetts lawmakers are endorsing Attorney General Martha Coakley in the special election for the late Edward M. Kennedy’s US Senate seat. Coakley says she hopes the backing of 88 of the state’s 200 legislators will boost her momentum for the Democratic nomination. Endorsers include Senate President Therese Murray, a Plymouth Democrat. Coakley’s announcement was made a day after one of her chief Democratic rivals, US Representative Michael E. Capuano, received endorsements by fellow US Representative James P. McGovern and Worcester Sheriff Guy Glodis. (AP)

Man guilty of manslaughter in bar fight
A Dorchester man was convicted yesterday of voluntary manslaughter in the fatal stabbing of a Revere man at a South Boston bar in 2007. Bernard Piscopo, 30, was charged with second-degree murder in the killing of Adam Rich, 26, at the 6 House on West Broadway on June 17, 2007. But a jury found Piscopo guilty of the lesser offense, the Suffolk district attorney’s office said. Piscopo faces sentencing at 10 a.m. today before Suffolk Superior Court Judge Linda Giles.

Coast Guard searching for a fisherman
The Coast Guard was searching last night for a man who fell off a fishing boat about 3 miles south of Eastern Point in Gloucester, Petty Officer Lauren Jorgensen said. Jaime Ortiz, 43, originally from Honduras, was not wearing a life jacket or survival suit when he fell from the stern of the 29-foot boat Dominatrix at about 2 p.m., Jorgensen said. There was one other person on board, she said. The Coast Guard launched two search boats from Station Gloucester, along with a jet and helicopter from Air Station Cape Cod, Jorgensen said.

Man accused of selling work equipment
A Mendon man was charged with 40 counts of conspiracy, mail fraud, wire fraud, and money laundering yesterday, according to acting US Attorney Michael K. Loucks. Glen Dias, 50, worked at Waters Corp. in Milford from 1981 through 2007. The indictment said that for the last nine years of employment, Dias took equipment from the plant and sold it across the country for personal gain. Dias was allegedly helped by others, including Richard Panorese of Milford, who pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit mail fraud yesterday, Loucks said.

Refugee group loses out on federal grant
An advocacy group that helps Cambodian refugees obtain US citizenship has been denied a federal grant to continue its program, the group’s executive director said yesterday. Victoria Fahlberg of ONE Lowell said her group was recently notified by the federal Office of Refugee Resettlement that it would not renew the group’s three-year grant for $180,000. (AP)

School goes into lockdown after threats
About 3,700 students were herded into the Danvers High School field house yesterday, after police locked down the school because threatening messages were found on a bathroom wall, police and school officials said. “They’re all safe, and they’re all in one place,’’ a secretary said. Members of the School Threat Assessment and Response System swept the building with dogs. Two threatening messages, one on a wall and one in a stall, were found in a boys’ bathroom about 9:15 a.m., according to Police Lieutenant Carole Germano.