Man’s severe beating leads to four arrests

By Hannah McBride
Globe Correspondent / October 13, 2009

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • Reprints|
  • |
Text size +

Four people have been arrested in connection with the brutal beating a South End man on Mother’s Day that left him with brain damage.

Roxbury residents John Benoit and Jumoke Marshall, both 22, were arrested over the weekend, according to a joint statement from Boston Police Commissioner Edward F. Davis and Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley.

Police also arrested Everett resident Eric Wallace, 19, and a 16-year-old from Roxbury who will be charged as a juvenile because he was 15 at the time of the attack, said Conley spokesman Jake Wark.

The men are all charged with mayhem, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and unarmed robbery.

Police said the four were eating at the New Golden Gate restaurant on Beach Street in Boston’s Chinatown neighborhood with the 29-year-old victim and his friend at 2:20 a.m. on May 10.

The victim and his friend stepped out to smoke cigarettes before the group ordered. The other four ate most of the food before demanding money for the check from the victim and his friend, according to reports.

The victim, who police would not name, allegedly refused and left the restaurant with his friend.

The four followed the victim and his friend outside to demand money a second time. Both refused again. The four then converged on them in front of a closed lounge at 265 Tremont St., intending to rob them, according to police reports.

One or more of the attackers stomped on the victim’s head a half-dozen times, fracturing his skull and cracking his eye sockets before stealing his wallet, the statement from Davis and Conley said. Police said the victim’s friend fled the scene and they are looking for him to interview.

The victim was left with bruising and swelling to his brain, memory loss, and permanent cognitive damage. He has moved out of state and is living with relatives, Wark said. He did not know the extent of the victim’s recovery at this time.

“Aside from the sheer brutality of the attack, what’s disturbing here is that, as far as we know, the suspects and victim had no connection prior to these events,’’ Conley said in a statement.

The four defendants will be appointed lawyers in Boston Municipal Court today, Wark said. If convicted, they face up to 20 years in prison.