boston.com your connection to The Boston Globe
NEW ENGLAND IN BRIEF

Latest measles case brings total to 14

The Massachusetts Department of Public Health confirmed another case of measles yesterday, bringing the total to 14 since early May. The patient, a woman in her early 20s, has recovered from the disease and is back at work at Hill Holiday, a communications company in the John Hancock Tower, where the outbreak began. No other suspect cases have been identified within Hill Holiday. For more information on measles, visit www.bphc.org , the Boston Public Health Commission's website, or www.state.ma.us/dph, the Department of Public Health's website.

Menino to add summer jobs for youth
As demonstrators gathered outside City Hall, Mayor Thomas M. Menino announced yesterday that he will add 535 slots to the city's youth summer-job program, in an effort to get more teen agers off the streets. The move boosts the number of summer jobs to 3,600, a 17 percent increase over last year. The new jobs will be paid for with $300,000 left over from last year's jobs program, Menino said. He made the announcement as a group of youth workers held a vigil on City Hall Plaza, and called on Menino to increase funding of the program by $1.2 million and to bring the number of jobs back to 2001 levels, when more than 5,000 jobs were available to teenagers. Last year, the city allotted 3,065 jobs.

Man convicted in '04 fatal shooting
A Dorchester man was convicted of first-degree murder yesterday and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for fatally shooting his former girlfriend's stepfather, the Suffolk District Attorney's office said. Gualberto Borrero Cruz , 41, also was convicted of armed home invasion and illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition. In January 2004, Cruz entered the Jamaica Plain home of Leanardo Perez , 44, and shot Perez once in the back during a struggle. After threatening Perez's common-law wife with a gun, Perez fled and was later arrested in Lynn. Judge Margot Botsford also sentenced Cruz to four to five years in prison for gun possession and two years for possession of ammunition. Sentencing for the home invasion is scheduled for today at 9 a.m.

Canton

School to restrict use of electric shock
Officials at a school in Canton said yesterday they would abide by new restrictions on their use of electric shocks and other painful punishments on students with autism, mental retardation, and emotional problems. The New York Board of Regents yesterday gave final approval to emergency regulations to sharply restrict the punishments at the Judge Rotenberg Educational Center. A panel of specialists will have to review each case before shocks can be administered to students. The rules apply only to New York students, but the state provides two-thirds of the 250 students. ``The school is going to do the very best it can to continue to provide effective treatment to these students and hope that they won't regress," said Michael Flammia, the school's attorney.

MALDEN

Man to be arraigned on murder charges
A suspect, Sean Fitzpatrick, is scheduled to be arraigned today in Malden District Court on two counts of murder after he was extradited to Massachusetts from New Hampshire yesterday. Fitzpatrick, 44, of Freedom, N.H, has been charged with killing Michael Zammitti Jr. , 39, and Chester Roberts , 54, on March 13 in Wakefield. Their bodies were found in the offices of a concrete company that was owned by Zammitti. Authorities say Fitzpatrick, who knew Zammitti, had killed him to pursue a relationship with his wife. Roberts, an employee at the company, was there when Fitzpatrick arrived, authorities say. Zammitti's family released a statement yesterday that said: ``Mr. Fitzpatrick was a long time, trusted friend of the family, and this act of violence is beyond comprehension. We are devastated by the loss of our beloved husband, father, son, and brother, and recent events, but believe in the judicial system and have faith that justice will be served."

STOUGHTON

Two plead not guilty in stabbing case
Two Stoughton men pleaded not guilty yesterday in Stoughton District Court to attempted murder and assault charges, after being charged with the stabbing a passenger in their car, authorities said. Willie K. Wilkerson , 20, and José L. Ramírez were held on $100,000 cash bail. Their victim, whom authorities declined to identify, suffered multiple stab wounds and underwent surgery yesterday at Boston Medical Center. All three were in the same car on Monday night when police were called to McGarvey Road in Stoughton. After noticing blood on the car, which was idling in the middle of the street, an officer found two knives. The defendants were arrested nearby, authorities said.

SEARCH THE ARCHIVES
 
Today (free)
Yesterday (free)
Past 30 days
Last 12 months
 Advanced search / Historic Archives