Gas fire injures one, forces evacuation
NEEDHAM, Mass. --A gas leak that ignited in Needham on Friday injured one man and forced the evacuation of the surrounding area, according to
NStar employees were working at the intersection of Webster Street and Harris Avenue when the gas ignited just before 2 p.m. For several minutes, a gas-fed flame shot several feet through a hole workers had dug in the street.
The gas was turned off, putting out the fire but also disrupting service to about 20 buildings, said Mike Durand, an NStar spokesman. He said service was expected to be restored early Friday evening.
One NStar employee was taken to the hospital with minor burns and was expected to be released from the hospital within 24 hours, Durand said. His name has not been released.
The company was finishing repairs on the road and looking into the cause of the ignition.