News your connection to The Boston Globe

College student dies after being injured in a crowd following last night's Red Sox game

A 21-year-old Emerson College student has died as a result of injuries sustained during celebrations early this morning on Lansdowne Street after the Red Sox defeated the Yankees. Earlier reports said that the student was hit by a "bean-bag" bullet fired by Boston police as they struggled to control the unruly crowds.

The student had been taken to Brigham and Women's Hospital after being injured on Lansdowne Street, where hundreds of fans had gathered to celebrate the Red Sox victory over the Yankees.

Brigham & Women's Hospital identified the young woman as Victoria Snelgrove of East Bridgewater. The hospital said she died at 12:50 p.m. today.

Boston police launched an immediate, intense investigation in an effort to determine how she was injured and whether the bullet had been fired by an officer.

"One factor that is being investigated is whether her injuries were sustained in any way during crowd control measures," said Suffolk District Attorney spokesman David Procopio. "That has not been confirmed or determined yet. The facts and circumstances of her injuries are the subject of an extremely active investigation at this point."

Sixteen people were reported injured as Boston police had to use what they describe as "less-than-lethal force'' to control rowdy fans.

Globe correspondent Heather Allen reported seeing fans trying to climb the outside wall of the Green Monster on Lansdowne Street near Gate E of Fenway Park.

At about 1:15 a.m. police officers armed with the bean-bag guns entered the crowd and started firing towards the Green Monster to get fans from climbing it, Allen said. She added that people starting running and that she heard some people say a girl was on the ground, there was a lot of blood, and she wasn’t moving.

Mayor Thomas Menino told the news media this morning that he was considering banning the serving of liquor in bars in the Fenway Park area once any World Series game gets underway.

He also said he was considering banning still and television cameras from inside bars in the Fenway Park area during games because he felt they contributed to inciting the crowds, mostly young people. He described what had happened as "'senseless''.

Over a thousand police officers had to be pressed into service to break up the crowds.

Television news reports from the scene showed one SUV on fire, youths throwing waste barrels and others items at buildings and signs. Some fans climbed on roofs and there were reports of fans falling to street after trying to climb up onto Fenway's Green Monster. Others were shown climbing street signs.

WCVB-TV reported that police had estimated between 60,000 and 80,000 people had converged on the Kenmore Square-Fenway Park area and most appeared to be students.   Continued...

1   2    Next 
Today (free)
Yesterday (free)
Past 30 days
Last 12 months