News your connection to The Boston Globe

Abducted newborn found in Malden after Amber Alert issued

Police say the 19-day-old boy who was reported abducted from his mother in East Boston this morning has been found safe in Malden. The baby's father, Jose Lizama (also known as Jose Granados), 28,was taken into custody for the abduction.

WBZ Radio is reporting that the baby, Michael Steven Rauda, has been reuinited with his mother, Alyana Rauda, 19.

The kidnapping prompted State Police to issue an Amber Alert. According to that alert, Lizama fled in a 1998 White Crown Victoria. The car, Lizama, and the baby were the subjects of a day-long search across the state.

Malden Police Patrolman Jesus Montoya says officers spotted the suspect's empty vehicle around 6:30 p.m. Monday on Lebanon Street. Lizama and the infant were found a short time later in the immediate area.

Police said Lizama snatched the infant from its mother at the intersection of Prescott and Saratoga Streets as she was on her way to East Boston District Court with two female friends at about 8:30 a.m. to get a restraining order against the father.

According to Boston police, an automobile pulled up, Lizama got out of the car and grabbed the child from a carseat the mother was carrying. Police said the couple struggled for a moment and Rauda received slight bruises on her right arm but he was able to take the child and hand it off to a man who was seated in the car.

There were news reports the man had threatened the mother of his child last week. Both the father and mother of the child are reported to have come to the Boston area from El Salvador.

The Amber Alert works similar to the National Weather Service storm emergency reports that broadcasts on radio and television stations are interrupted with a warning signal so that State Police can make the special broadcast. Highway traffic signs also are used to transmit the alert.

Today was the second time in less than two weeks the Amber Alert system has been activated in Massachusetts.

On July 30 two teenage girls were reported kidnapped in Everett.

The alert was sent out and several hours later a man who had heard the alert on his car radio spotted the car reported involved in the abduction and alerted a police officer on traffic duty in Stoughton.

A short time later police reported the car went off the road and the driver fled leaving the two girls in the vehicle. That evening the man was taken in custody following a massive manhunt in Stoughton when a police dog found him hidden in some bushes. 

Today (free)
Yesterday (free)
Past 30 days
Last 12 months