Milford boy, 2, dies after swallowing screw; no foul play suspected, Milford police say

A 2-year-old Milford boy died this morning after swallowing a screw that had come loose from a piece of furniture, obstructing his airway and causing him to choke, according to Milford police.

“The death is a tragic accident,” Milford Police Chief Tom O’Loughlin said today in a statement.

The toddler was pronounced dead this morning at the Milford Regional Medical Center, police said.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

State Police and Milford detectives determined that the screw had become detached from a piece of furniture in the Water Street home, police said.

“Given that this is a medical call that resulted in a death, we will not be releasing the name of the child or family,” the statement said.