A 34-year-old man pleaded not guilty in Boston Municipal Court today to charges of armed robbery and assault and battery after he allegedly attacked a woman in the MBTA’s Haymarket Station earlier this month, MBTA Transit Police said.
Raymond Castillo allegedly approached a 37-year-old woman in an underpass between the Green and Orange lines at 11 p.m. on Jan. 6 while wearing a black face mask. He told her he had a gun and demanded she hand over all of her money. When the victim refused, Castillo allegedly jumped on top of her and rummaged through her pockets, according to a spokesman for the Suffolk district attorney’s office.
Castillo ran off with $2, according to the DA’s office. No injuries were reported.
Security cameras in the station captured footage of the attack. Transit police posted it on their website, hoping the public could help identify the assailant.
The video also showed Castillo re-entering the station a few minutes later with a female companion. He switched jackets with her, and placed his backpack inside of her backpack, according to the district attorney’s office.
Through an investigation, detectives made a preliminary identification of Castillo as the assailant. An anonymous tipster called Transit police and told them Castillo could be found at a Roslindale address.
When officers arrived at the address, they discovered he had moved out several months earlier, but neighbors were able to identify him from the surveillance footage. Transit police also contacted the woman Castillo met in the station and interviewed her, the district attorney’s office said.
An investigation revealed that Castillo previously served jail time for breaking and entering, distribution of Class B drugs, shoplifting, larceny, and malicious destruction of property, according to the DA’s office.
Castillo was arrested in Boston at around 10 p.m. Tuesday. He is being held on $25,000 bail, according the DA’s office said. He is to return to court on Feb. 21.