Tale of hurt, lost hiker has lesson: Stay on trail

MISSING FOR 3 DAYS Michael Hays waved his bright-orange rain poncho and was spotted by a rescue helicopter on its second pass. MISSING FOR 3 DAYS
Michael Hays waved his bright-orange rain poncho and was spotted by a rescue helicopter on its second pass.
By David Sharp
Associated Press / June 2, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • Reprints|
  • |
Text size +

PORTLAND, Maine — An Ohio hiker who went missing for three days before being rescued got himself into trouble when he decided to veer off the ridge between Baxter State Park’s highest peaks, apparently seeking a shortcut down to his rental car, the park’s director said Tuesday.

After reaching the top of 5,267-foot Mount Katahdin, Michael Hays was returning along the narrow and rocky Knife Edge Trail when he decided to leave the path before reaching Pamola Peak, where it would have been 3.5 miles to the parking lot, said director Jensen Bissell.

Instead of choosing a shortcut, Hays selected a more demanding route in which he injured his knee, limiting his mobility on treacherous terrain, Bissell said.

“It’s not a shortcut at all,’’ he said. “Sometimes people think it’s going to get better around the corner. This actually gets worse. It gets more difficult.’’

Hays, 41, of Stow, Ohio, shattered his kneecap during a fall, a co-worker said, and he was dehydrated and covered with bug bites when he was found Monday.

After being airlifted off the mountain, Hays was taken to a local hospital before being transported to a larger hospital in Bangor, said Rich Hohman, who happened to be hiking in Maine at the same time as Hays. The two work at the headquarters of Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores in Ohio.

Doctors were concerned about possible infection from a puncture wound to Hays’s knee, in addition to the shattered kneecap, but he was in good shape otherwise, Hohman said.

“Physically, if it wasn’t for the knee, he would’ve been able to leave the hospital,’’ he said.

The search, which began Saturday when Hays failed to sign out on a trail register, was the biggest in four decades in 200,000-acre Baxter State Park.

Bissell said hikers should learn from Hays’s mistakes: Hikers should always stay on established trails, and they should not count on cellphones to bail them out.

“Mr. Hays had a BlackBerry the whole time, and it was no good at all,’’ Bissell said. “The second issue is no matter what shape you’re in, please don’t leave the trail. If you are on the trail [and something happens] we’ll find you and make it OK, but if you leave the trail, all bets are off.’’

While Hays could not get a signal to use his phone to call for help, his cellphone carrier was able to tell searchers that he had attempted to check his voice mail during the time he was missing, giving searchers hope that he was still alive, Bissell said.

The helicopter that found Hays passed over once without seeing him. On the second pass, Hays waved his bright-orange rain poncho, and someone spotted him.

It probably would have been several days before searchers on foot checked out the area, Bissell said.

In addition to Mount Katahdin, Hays intended to hike the tallest peaks in New Hampshire, 6,288-foot Mount Washington, and in Vermont, 4,350-foot Mount Mansfield, Hohman said.

Connect with

Twitter Follow us on @BostonUpdate, other Twitter accounts