Serial rapist’s parole revoked

By Dave Collins
Associated Press / April 29, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

HARTFORD — State officials revoked yesterday the parole of a convicted rapist and killer whom a judge once called a scary sexual predator who should be behind bars forever.

The Board of Pardons and Paroles found that former Groton resident Edward Boyle Jr., 50, missed a required group counseling session and went somewhere without his GPS tracking device. The board said his absence violated conditions of his release.

Boyle took part in the hearing in Waterbury through a videoconference from the Brooklyn Correctional Institution, where he is being held.

“I followed the rules and procedures,’’ Boyle said. “I’m not sure what more I could have done.’’

Boyle’s parole was to run until 2024, and the board will meet again in October to determine how long he will remain locked up. The board can decide to keep him in prison until 2024 or a shorter period, said John Lahda, its executive director.

At the October meeting, “the board will be able to take into account his criminal career,’’ said Lahda. “The big thing now is for us to do our job and gather the information.’’

Relatives of Louisa Scott, a 20-year-old Coventry bowling alley worker whom Boyle was convicted of strangling in 1980, say Boyle is too dangerous to be released and are urging state officials to lock him up as long as possible. Several of Scott’s relatives wore T-shirts with her picture on them as they attended yesterday’s hearing.

“Our sister doesn’t have a life,’’ said her brother, Timothy Scott. “If I had my choice, [Boyle] wouldn’t have a life. . . . Mark my words. He will offend again.’’

In 1999, Boyle was released from prison after serving 18 years for manslaughter in Scott’s killing and for raping a 52-year-old woman in Manchester. Authorities also say he raped several other women in Manchester in the 1970s.

Boyle was paroled in November 2009 after serving five years for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in Groton. He was returned to prison in February for the parole violations, according to the Department of Correction.