Training nurses through the years
A history of Brockton Hospital School of Nursing:
1896 Brockton Hospital is founded.
1897 Brockton Hospital establishes a nursing school.
1898 The first class of nurses graduates.
1906 Twelve students — all female — are enrolled in the nursing school, under the direction of superintendent Grace B. Beattie. Five students graduate that year.
1911 To comply with state regulations, the nursing school expands from a two-year program to a three-year program.
1922 The school celebrates its 25th anniversary. A nursing journal reports: “Miss Grace B. Beattie of Somerville, the organizer of the school and first superintendent and matron of the hospital, was the guest of honor and principal speaker. A feature of her address was a stirring charge to members of the alumnae association, in which she stressed their responsibility in the progress of ‘the most womanly vocation.’ ’’
1935 Brockton Hospital School of Nursing closes, along with many other nursing schools across the country, during the Great Depression.
1943 World War II creates a shortage of nurses, and Brockton Hospital’s nursing school reopens.
1979 The nursing school becomes affiliated with Bridgewater State College.
1986 The three-year curriculum is shortened to two years; the school also begins an affiliation with Stonehill College.
1988 The school launches a weekend/evening division to serve working adults; that same year, it goes back to being affiliated with Bridgewater State College.
1990 The school begins its affiliation with Fisher College.
SOURCES: Brockton Hospital School of Nursing; Boston Globe archives; 1906 Report of the US Commissioner of Education; The Trained Nurse and Hospital Review, 1922