10 ways seniors can save
1. Seek the services of an objective financial planner.
2. Get a second opinion on investments and financial purchases .
3. Contact a local Council on Aging for help paying food and heat. Find a nearby office at n4a.org.
4. Get back to gardening to save money on groceries.
5. Avoid convenience foods and instead watch for sales on fresh or canned fruits, vegetables, and meats, which are less expensive and more nutritious.
6. Look for deals on generic medications, and ask pharmacists about ways to save money on medications.
7. Walk when you can. If high gas prices are cutting into your social life, organize a walking club or walk with friends.
8. Carpool when you can't walk.
9. Keep drapes drawn closed during the heat of the day, and minimize opening and closing doors in winter.
10. Close off parts of the house you are not using to cut utility costs.
Source: Home Instead Senior Care of Massachusetts