your connection to The Boston Globe

Teenager wounded in shooting on train

Suspects flee Ruggles station

The doors on an outbound Orange Line train had just opened at Ruggles station yesterday afternoon when two teenagers turned around and one fired two shots at close range into another teenager on the train before fleeing amid the ensuing chaos, police said.

The victim, who a relative said is a 19-year-old Boston man, was hit in the arm and leg and was rushed to Boston Medical Center. He was expected to survive. Police did not find a gun and were looking last night for two suspects.

"The act was very deliberate, and we believe the two suspects knew the victim," said John Martino, deputy chief of the MBTA Transit Police. "No words were said. Nothing was exchanged before the shooting. It was a very deliberate action."

In a telephone interview last night, the victim's aunt, Katrina Gaskins, declined to identify her nephew, denied he is affiliated with a gang, and said the shooting was unprovoked.

"There's nothing that he did wrong," she said. "He was actually coming from trying to get a job and was on his way home. It was just a random act of violence."

Charise Genas, 43, of Mattapan, was headed home about 1 p.m. with her daughter Shaunte, 23, and son Marlin, 20, when she heard what she thought were firecrackers in the adjacent car.

"It was just terrible," she said. "I just heard a 'boom, boom, boom, boom.' It happened too fast, and everyone was just running. I thought: 'Oh, my God, have mercy. Don't let anyone get hurt.' "

As she and her daughter scrambled for the door, her son was detained as Boston and Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority police shut down the station for nearly two hours.

At one point, after being told that one of the suspects might be on a bus, officers frisked several passengers as they exited. Genas's son and several others, some in handcuffs, were later released.

While the station was closed, subway passengers were put on shuttle buses between Jackson Square and Back Bay. The Ruggles bus depot closed for about 45 minutes.

The station in Roxbury, near Boston Police Department headquarters, is a key hub for bus, subway, and commuter rail service. It was the scene of 34 serious crime incidents last year, including 21 robberies and two assaults, and was the second most dangerous T stop.

The shooting was the second this year on the T. In March, Dwayne Graham, 18, of Hyde Park, died after being shot in the head while riding a T bus in Dorchester.

Also in March, a teenager stabbed two other passengers just before an outbound Orange Line train arrived at Back Bay station. That prompted MBTA Transit Police to increase uniformed patrols on Orange Line trains and at stations.

Mac Daniel can be reached at