your connection to The Boston Globe

Boy, 15, fatally stabbed outside Dudley station

A 15-year-old Roxbury boy was fatally stabbed last night outside the Dudley Square bus station - the second teenager killed in street violence in two days, police said.

Relatives identified the victim as Shawn Adams, a freshman at East Boston High School. Adams was pronounced dead at 6:48 p.m. at Boston Medical Center from a stab wound to the chest, authorities said.

Boston Police Commissioner Kathleen O'Toole called the stabbing a ``horrific incident.''

`My heart goes out to the family of Shawn Adams,'' O'Toole said. ``I just want to say that we will determine who is responsible for this murder ... we're committed to bringing the murderers of Shawn Adams to justice.''

According to MBTA and Boston police, Adams was with a group of about nine boys ages 10 to 17 on the Silver Line platform at Dudley Station just after 6 p.m. when he was approached by another group of four to six young men 16 to 19.

During an altercation, Adams was stabbed and the groups scattered toward Warren Street, MBTA police Lieutenant Detective Mark F. Gillespie said. With the help of friends, Adams walked away from the station to nearby Zeigler Street, where he collapsed.

``The information is a little sketchy right now,'' Gillespie said. ``Whatever happened was very sudden. It happened in a well-lit area, there was no noise, no shouting, no arguing. There was no warning whatsoever.''

Police are seeking help from the public in identifying the group of attackers. One of them, according to witnesses, was struck by a car outside the station as the groups scattered and may have been injured, Boston police Superintendent John Gallagher said.

Gallagher said he did not believe the stabbing and Friday's fatal shooting of 18-year-old Lance Brown of Mattapan were related.

Relatives and friends of Adams consoled each other outside the emergency room at Boston Medical Center last night, later heading back to his parents' home on Cunningham Street.

``He was just a kid, a good kid, said his brother, 35-year-old Anthony Adams. ``I don't know who would want to do something like this to him.''

Anthony Adams said he watched his little brother leave with friends to go to the movies earlier last night. Soon after, he said, he got a call from police.

Shawn Adams' mother, Betty Adams, described her son last night as a responsible young man who ``just liked to hang with his friends.

``He liked to go to the movies,'' Betty Adams said in a brief interview with the Globe last night. ``He was never in trouble, never involved in gangs. He was a very good kid.''

A Boston police spokesman said investigators had no suspects and had not recovered a weapon.

It was the ninth homicide in Boston in 2004 and the second slaying at the Dudley bus station in less than four months.

In November, a gunman opened fire outside the busy transit depot, killing 52-year-old Charles Johnson and wounding four others.

Steps away from where Adams was stabbed, flowers, teddy bears, and notes were still pasted to a pole in a makeshift memorial dedicated to Johnson.

Gillespie said that the MBTA police have an officer assigned to patrol Dudley Station each day from 7:30 a.m. to midnight, but that five minutes before last night's stabbing, the officer on duty was sent to the Ruggles MBTA Station to deal with another incident.

Local residents and merchants last night questioned whether the MBTA is providing enough security at Dudley Station.

``I'm tired of seeing innocent people get hurt,'' said one vendor outside the station, who declined to give his name. ``All kinds of people come through this station. Little babies come through here. [Police] need to be doing their job.''

Meanwhile yesterday, relatives of the man gunned down outside a Mattapan grocery store Friday held a vigil and searched for answers about the slaying, as police searched for the killer.

Brown was shot several times at close range, witnesses told police, in an apparent drive-by shooting as he stood outside Farmer's Warehouse Market, steps from the Cummins Highway apartment where he lived.

Police were seeking a motive yesterday, said Officer Michael McCarthy, a police spokesman. One of Brown's sisters said Brown had been called out to fight with a man who believed Brown was in a Mattapan gang. The sister and another family member said Brown was not in a gang.

The sister, who requested anonymity, said that she and several other family members had been with Brown and tried to prevent him from going outside, but were unsuccessful.

``We heard five gunshots and I thought it was my brother shooting at him,'' she said. ``So I thought for a minute I'd see him running down, but I didn't. I just saw him on the ground.''

Brown had been speaking with a man in a dark green Toyota Camry, according to another of Brown's sisters, Angel Brown, 18, who said she arrived at the scene in time to witness the shooting. The driver leaned over the passenger seat and shot Brown, she said. Police had previously said a black car was seen speeding from the scene.

``He died in my arms instantly,'' said Angel Brown, who had tied a piece of yellow police scene tape to her sneakers yesterday. ``He didn't respond. His eyes just rolled to the back of his head.''

Brown was pronounced dead at Boston Medical Center, police said.

Three of Brown's siblings and a friend walked around the Mattapan Square area yesterday asking friends to scrawl notes honoring their slain brother on a T-shirt and a towel, which were to be placed in his casket.

They said they were trying to raise money for a funeral by selling T-shirts. Family members portrayed Brown as intelligent and loyal, a solid basketball player who had aspirations to be a rap star, and a man with many friends.

Brown's mother, Karen Brown, said her son was no saint, ``but I loved him.''

He never backed down from a fight, she said.

``He had a very bad temper,'' she said. ``It was his own worst enemy.''

Today (free)
Yesterday (free)
Past 30 days
Last 12 months
 Advanced search / Historic Archives