After so much reaction to our Simple Advice for College Students from a Parent, we asked Simmons College to provide some more tips.
Here are Dean Neill's Tips for College Students:
1. High school relationships will change and that's okay.
2. Be mindful of your online presence.
3. Program important college numbers, including Public Safety, into your cell phone.
4. Try to get some form of exercise daily; even walking.
5. Don't panic if you haven't made great friends yet, this can take time.
6. Don't be afraid to ask for what you need.
7. Pay attention to your spending and finances.
8. Your voice is important, do your best to speak-up whenever you can.
9. Get involved in at least one activity outside of the classroom.
10. Go to one campus event or program each week.
11. Don't participate in idle gossip or complaining.
12. Take time out each day for quiet reflection.
13. Surround yourself with people who support you and your goals (make sure at least one of these people is at your college).
14. Engage in your learning and education, and the grades will follow.
15. Eat your vegetables.
16. Not everything you read is true.
17. Take a class that has nothing to do with your major or minor - just for fun.
18. Try to dedicate a day for community service at least once per year
19. Get to know your professors.
20. Challenge your own beliefs about yourself and others.