Fire damages Roxbury apartment complex

A two-alarm fire Saturday evening displaced the residents of all 14 units at an apartment complex on 100 Seaver St. in Roxbury, a Boston Fire Department spokesman said.

Firefighters responded at 5:07 p.m. to the four-story brick building, where a fire began on the third floor and extended to the fourth floor, with heavy smoke visible from the street, said spokesman Steve MacDonald. Investigators, he said, later determined that the fire was started by an electrical short-circuit in a third-floor bathroom ceiling.

Occupants were removed and no civilians were injured. A firefighter was treated and transported by Boston EMS after receiving a mild electric shock while fighting the fire and has since been released from the hospital, according to MacDonald. At least 25 civilians were dispalced as of Saturday night, but officials said the number could change.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

The displaced residents were aided by members of the neighborhood, including City Councilor Tito Jackson, who met with the victims.

Firefighters were also able to reunite a resident with her cat, which had been stuck in the building, according to a Twitter posting by the Boston Fire Department.

Massachusetts Red Cross responded and an MBTA bus arrived to move the displaced residents. Fire officials, according to MacDonald, were on the scene until approximately 9:30 p.m.

The fire chief estimated the damage—which included electrical and water damage-- to be about $750,000 and said it will be at least a couple of days before residents can return to their apartments.