2 Lowell men charged after high-speed chase on Turnpike, foot pursuit in Charlton

Two Lowell men were arrested in Charlton this afternoon after leading State and local police on a high-speed chase down the Massachusetts Turnpike and then a foot pursuit outside a police barracks and into the woods, authorities said.

Vini Bunted Proeung, 18, the operator of the vehicle, was charged with receiving a stolen motor vehicle, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, marked lanes violation, speeding, breakdown lane violation, and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, State Police said in a statement.

Ishumael Kahare, 21, the passenger, was charged with receiving a stolen motor vehicle and assault and battery on a police officer, the statement said.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

The incident began around 12:22 p.m. when State Police allegedly observed a minivan moving down the Turnpike westbound in Charlton at speeds between 100 and 110 miles per hour. Vehicles in the path of the 2007 Dodge Caravan had to swerve out of the way to avoid being struck, the statement said.

During the chase, the minivan caused a three-car accident, according to State Police. In an attempt to pass a slower vehicle in the right lane, the minivan rear-ended one vehicle, which then rear-ended another, State Police said.

The minivan, which State Police later learned was stolen from Dracut, crashed into the median. No one was injured in the accidents.

Proeung allegedly exited the minivan and ran across three eastbound lanes toward the rear lot of the Charlton State Police barracks, where he was apprehended.

Kahare allegedly ran across the westbound lanes and into the woods, initiating a foot chase. He pushed an officer who was pursuing him, causing the trooper to sustain an ankle injury, State Police said. He was apprehended at about 1 p.m., the statement said.

Additional state troopers, K-9 units, and Sturbridge and Spencer police assisted in the incident, according to State Police.