Father fatally shoots young son and then himself at YWCA in Manchester, N.H.

MANCHESTER, N.H.—A Manchester man shot and killed his young son and then himself at the YWCA here this morning, according to authorities.

Muni Savyon, 54, shot his 9-year-old son, Joshua Savyon, several times during a supervised visitation, authorities said.

Manchester Police detectives “have been able to determine that Muni Savyon has been separated from his son’s mother for several years. The relationship has been contentious at times and included threats by Muni Savyon to kill himself, his son’s mother and their son,” according to a statement released by New Hampshire Attorney General Joseph A. Foster and Manchester Police Chief David J. Mara.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

The boy lived in Amherst, N.H., the statement said.

The Manchester YWCA offers child custody exchanges and supervised child visitation, according to its website.

An adult male counselor was in the room with the father and son and escaped without injury, according to authorities.

Shortly after 10 a.m. today police, including a SWAT team, responded to a 911 call reporting a gunman inside the YWCA, searched the building, and found “two deceased persons,” according to Lieutenant Maureen Tessier, a spokeswoman for the Manchester Police Department.

YWCA staff members and other people in the building were safely evacuated, she said. By 2 p.m., tactical officers had withdrawn, she said in a phone interview.

The investigation is ongoing, according to the statement from Foster and Mara. Autopsies are set to be conducted on both bodies Monday, the statement said.

Rabbi Levi Krinsky, of Chabad Lubavitch in Manchester, said he had known the deceased man for five years.

He said the father had sent an email to at least one friend saying “he was going to do something of this nature.”

Krinsky said the father’s brother had died five weeks earlier in Israel, and the father had appeared distraught when Krinsky last met with him a week ago.

“He was clearly spaced, his eyes were not focused on me,” Krinsky said. “He was just very broken, which I thought was directly related to his brother’s passing. Did I think he was suicidal? No. Did I think he was dangerous? Not in the slightest. Apparently this is what he was thinking. End it all.”

Krinsky said the man’s son had been involved in some youth programs at Chabad Lubavtich.

“He was a rambunctious little boy, a typical kid coming from a custody battle home,” he said.

A red Ford Taurus was seen being towed from a spot around the corner from the YWCA and Kinsky said the car belonged to the father.