Fire leaves Abington restaurant ‘unusable’

Firefighters knocked down a two-alarm fire at a Brazilian restaurant in Abington Saturday, after stuggling to reach the blaze through the building’s thick roof, fire officials said.

“It was very difficult to get access [to the fire],” said Abington Fire Captain Jack Glynn. “There had been a variety of additions to the ceilings and the roofs through years, so at some point, getting to the fire, we encountered roofs that were more than seven inches thick.”

He added that rooftops typically are about two inches thick.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

According to Glynn, fire officials believe the fire began in the ceiling of the kitchen at the Terra Nossa Center Market, located in the Nisby Plaza on the Abington-Weymouth line.

No one was injured. But Glynn said the Terra Nossa Center Market, which is also a grocery store, will likely not reopen its doors for some time.

“The restaurant itself will be unusable,” he said. “It appears all the other businesses [in the plaza] should be up for business fairly soon.”

At approximately 8:30 a.m., Abington firefighters responded to the scene at 1501 Bedford St., said Glynn. He said the last unit left the scene at around 2 p.m.

Fire responders from Whitman, Holbrook, Rockland, Brockton, East Bridgewater, Weymouth, Hanson, and Norwell also assisted.