Ernest Wallace, the third suspect in the murder of Odin L. Lloyd, walked into the police station in the southern Florida community of Miramar today where he peacefully surrendered to police.
“He announced that he had a warrant and had seen himself on television and wanted to turn himself in,” said Officer Gil Bueno, a Miramar police spokesman.
Wallace, who is represented by Boston defense attorney David Meier, invoked his right to an attorney and has not spoken to investigators, Bueno said.
Lloyd was shot and killed June 17 in North Attleborough, a killing prosecutors have alleged was orchestrated by former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez.
Meier confirmed his client surrendered to police. He said Wallace, whom authorities described as armed and dangerous, was in Miramar visiting relatives when he realized he was wanted by Massachusetts authorities.
“He had been visiting his mother and other family members in the family home in Florida,’’ Meier said in a telephone interview today.
Meier, the former chief homicide prosecutor for Suffolk County, said that Wallace has agreed to return to Massachusetts to face the single count of accessory after the fact of murder he currently faces. “
He intends to waive any rendition proceeding and to return to Massachusetts as soon as possible,’’ Meier said. He declined further comment.
The arrest of Wallace means that all three men implicated in the murder of Lloyd, a 27-year-old Dorchester man who was acquainted with Hernandez because they were dating sisters, are now in the hands of Massachusetts law enforcement.
Hernandez is currently being held without bail at the Bristol County Jail after pleading not guilty this week to charges that he orchestrated the execution-style murder of Lloyd on June 17 in a North Attleborough industrial park.
In addition to Hernandez and Wallace, authorities have said in court papers that Carlos Ortiz, 27, of Bristol, Conn., is seen on surveillance video entering Hernandez’s North Attleborough home around 3:30 a.m. on June 17 armed with a handgun.
Ortiz appeared today in Attleboro District Court where he was ordered held without bail after pleading not guilty to a single charge of unlawful carrying of a firearm on June 17.
Neither Wallace nor Ortiz have been charged with murdering Lloyd.
Also today, authorities confirmed that they recovered a silver Chrylser 300 with Rhode Island plates that Wallace was last seen driving. The car was recovered in Bristol, Conn., the hometown of Hernandez and Ortiz and where Wallace also had connections.
Earlier this morning, Boston police became the third police agency since June 17 to search Hernandez’s sprawling home on Ronald C. Meyer Drive. State Police and North Attleborough police searched his home at least twice before Hernandez was arrested on Wednesday for allegedly killing Lloyd.
A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation said Boston police were looking for evidence that could connect Hernandez to the killings of Daniel Abreu and Safiro Furtado, friends who grew up in Cape Verde, who were slain in a fusillade of bullets on July 16, 2012, in the South End as they drove home from a Boston nightclub.
This afternoon, Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis said that the search for those responsible for the murders Abreu and Furtado is continuing.
“It is hard to say exactly when charges will come down on that case,’’ Davis said. “It is very important for us to compile all the information that we have and not act prematurely. And so we will be as careful with the investigation as we are with all of our homicide investigations.’’
Abreu, who was driving a BMW sedan, stopped at a light on Shawmut Avenue at Herald Street when a silver or gray sport utility vehicle with Rhode Island plates pulled alongside. Someone from the SUV opened fire, killing Abreu, 29, and Furtado, 28. Another passenger was wounded. Two others fled the car unharmed.
The killings were a mystery until the murder of Lloyd, according to two law enforcement sources briefed on the Boston murders. Hernandez, according to Bristol prosecutors, hatched a plan to kill Lloyd after he was seen talking with some people he had “troubles with,” at a Boston nightclub on June 14, and later summoned two allies with a text saying “you can’t trust anyone.’’
Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley declined to comment on specifics of the investigation, but he said that the case, once cold, has become more “robust” recently.
Furtado was a tour guide in Cape Verde, his family said. He arrived in Dorchester five months before he was killed. Abreu grew up in Cape Verde, where he worked as a police officer. He arrived in Dorchester around 2008.
Police also searched a Franklin condominium this week as part of the Lloyd investigation and recovered .45 caliber bullets similar to the ones used to kill Lloyd, authorities said.
(Globe Correspondent Javier Panzar contributed to this report.)