Keosha Gilmore was killed by childhood friend who she did not want to date, prosecutor says

As she sat in a car with her boyfriend, Keosha N. Gilmore was killed by a childhood friend who fired a bullet into her head and a second bullet into her chest because Gilmore did not want to date him instead, a Suffolk prosecutor said today.

Gilmore was 25 years old on Feb. 19, 2012, when she was allegedly shot to death by Christopher Jackson, the childhood friend who wanted a romantic relationship, Suffolk Assistant District Attorney Gretchen Lundgren said during Jackson’s arraignment in Dorchester Municipal Court on murder charges today.

“This was not a random murder,’’ Lundgren said in court. “This was a premeditated act of unspeakable violence precipitated by the defendant’s unwillingness to accept that Miss Gilmore, who was a childhood friend of his, didn’t share the same romantic feelings that he had for her.’’

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

But defense attorney Kevin Macdonald said that his client was an innocent man wrongly accused of a horrific crime. Macdonald said Jackson has continually cooperated with Boston police detectives ever since Gilmore’s murder.

Macdonald said that as part of that agreement, Jackson provided a DNA sample to authorities, the very same DNA evidence that prosecutors allege links Jackson to items dumped in a nearby cemetery after the shooting, which include the gun that killed Gilmore, a pair of latex gloves, and a hat.

“He’s never been in trouble with the law,’’ said Macdonald. “He cooperated fully with this investigation. He provided a DNA sample when he didn’t have to do that. That’s evidence of an individual’s innocence, rather than their guilt.’’

Jackson, 26, did not come into the prisoner’s dock at the request of his attorney and was not seen by a large number of Gilmore’s relatives, including her mother, her stepfather, and her great-aunt, who filled three rows in the courtroom

Jackson’s mother and other relatives sat across the aisle from Gilmore’s family.

Outside the courtroom after the conclusion of the arraignment, Gilmore’s great-aunt spoke with the family of the accused killer.

“I am sorry,’’ she was overheard telling Jackson’s relative. “Put it in God’s hands.’’

Gilmore’s great-aunt held hands with a woman Jackson’s defense attorney identified as Jackson’s aunt.

Gilmore’s great-aunt, who described her connection to Gilmore but who refused to give ner name, described Keosha as a “very quiet, friendly person’’ who “never got into nothing.’’

“We have to put everything in God’s hands,’’ she said as she was leaving the courthouse. “He will take care of it.’’

Except for the great-aunt, relatives on both sides declined comment.