Medford fire injures two, displaces four at high-rise apartments for seniors

An early morning fire at an high-rise apartment complex for seniors in Medford injured two people and displaced four, according to the Medford Fire Department.

The fire, which broke out around 3 a.m. on Riverside Avenue, started in a kitchen in a third floor of apartment of the 14-story building, said Deputy Fire Chief Steve Howe.

One man was sent to Massachusetts General Hospital with burns and another person was injured, but Howe did not know the details of that injury. Their conditions are unknown.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Four residents from three units, two cats, and a guinea pig were displaced, according to a statement from the American Red Cross, which provided emergency funds for food and clothing. The residents are being put up in a hotel by the building’s management company.

The incident caused heavy smoke damage in the building and heavy water damage on the first and second floors, said Howe.