Man ordered held without bail in Mattapan slaying

Kewan “Killer” Kelley today was ordered held without bail for allegedly murdering Rayshawn Few during a confrontation outside a house at 24 Woodruff St. in Mattapan on Feb. 17.

Kelley was arraigned in Dorchester Municipal Court, one day after he was arrested in Brockton, where he was found hiding in a bathroom shower inside a house at 70 Elliot St., officials said.

Matthew Feinberg, Kelley’s attorney, pleaded not guilty on his client’s behalf.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Kelley was one of two accused killers in court today. Jose Carrasquillo, 42, of Roxbury is slated to appear in Roxbury Municipal Court for allegedly shooting Orlando Guerrero, 42, to death on Windsor Street in Roxbury shortly before noon on Dec. 15.

In the Dorchester courthouse, approximately 10 relatives and friends of Few attended the arraignment but did not get the chance to see the 26-year-old defendant. He hid out of view behind a door leading into the courtroom.

The group wore round buttons on their chests bearing pictures of Few. A relative of Few described him as a doting father to his 2-year-old and a man who had made strides lately to improve his life.

Pamela Few, the victim’s mother, appeared distraught as she walked out of the courtroom and spoke with prosecutors and a victim’s advocate. She declined comment.

Suffolk Assistant District Attorney Mark Lee said in court that Kelley had a criminal history dating back to 2004 that included an armed robbery charge in Essex County and an assault with a deadly weapon charge in Suffolk County.

In this latest case, Kelley is due back in court April 12 for a probable cause hearing.

Lee said the events that led to Few’s death began when Kelley attended a Valentine’s party inside the Woodruff Street address. He allegedly confronted Few and his friends as they arrived.

Few was invited to the party, being the godfather of the host’s child, but Kelly and his group of friends took issue with Few and his friends being there, Lee said.

The confrontation continued outside, at which point Kelly shot Few in the head and collarbone, Lee said.

Also today, a spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said 22-year-old Osmell Odena, who was arrested on gun charges shortly after Few was shot to death and was armed with a handgun, had no connection to the murder of Few. He allegedly simply happened to be in the area — with a gun.

“If there was ever any evidence that there are too many illegal firearms in the city of Boston — here it is,’’ said spokesman Jake Wark.

Wark said Odena and a second man, Jamal Gittens, 20, were in the neighborhood at the time when Boston police officers flooded the area because of the attack on Few.

Odena and Gittens were in a car that sped away from arriving officers, who then gave chase and eventually took the two men into custody. Gittens is charged with failing to stop for a police officer and resisting arrest.

Both Odena and Gittens have pleaded not guilty to all charges.