Police and firefighters evacuated more than 500 people from an Eastern Bank office building in Lynn today after a fire that caused heavy black smoke within the building. No injuries were reported, police said.
Lieutenant Chris Kelly of the Lynn Police Department said that around 10:30 a.m. police received reports of a possible transformer explosion at the building, located at 195 Market St.
Fire Chief Tim Collier said a problem with one transformer caused multiple explosions in the electrical vault. The fire was contained to that area, causing negligible damage to the rest of the building, he said.
There was some smoke damage, but Collier said essential personnel have already re-entered the building.
There were no fire- or smoke-related injuries, but a woman slipped while exiting the bank and requested an ambulance, Kelly said.
The building is the northern regional headquarters of the bank, according to the corporate website.