Key prosecution witness Kimani Washington testifies about Mattapan massacre in retrial of Dwayne Moore

Key prosecution witness Kimani Washington took the stand today in the retrial of Dwayne Moore, who is accused of killing four people in Mattapan in 2010. Six months after a jury deadlocked on the charges against him, Moore is being retried in Suffolk Superior Court in front of a jury that is being bused in each day from Worcester County.

Washington described for the new jury his version of what happened that night in September 2010 during two hours of testimony this morning. Washington, now 37, generally provided the same account he gave to jurors during Moore’s first trial.

Wearing a striped button-up shirt and tie, he spoke in a low voice, answering “yes sir” to questions posed by assistant district attorney Edmond Zabin.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

During opening statements last week, prosecutors said that this time around, they will present taped police interviews with Moore. The interviews, they say, will show he had the means and motive to carry out one of the worst mass killings in Boston’s recent history.

Moore is charged with home invasion and the killings of Simba Martin, 21; his girlfriend, Eyanna Flonory; her 2-year-old son, Amanihotep Smith; and Levaughn Washum-Garrison, Martin’s friend who slept on a couch at Martin’s Sutton Street house that night.

To counter, Moore’s defense will apparently suggest that any new evidence and testimony presented by prosecutors would be merely a poor attempt to strengthen a case with a weak foundation.

The strategies were laid out before the mostly white jury last week.

On Wednesday, the courtroom was a stark contrast to the first trial when dozens of reporters and family members packed the courtroom to listen to the anticipated testimony. Today there were fewer family members in court, who listened quietly as Washington gave a chilling account of that night.

As he said in the first trial, Washington went to the Woolson Street apartment with Moore and his cousin Edward Washington for a robbery. After stealing crack cocaine, a safe, and money, Kimani Washington said he left in the car of one of the victims and returned to his Fowler Street apartment where he waited for his cousin and Moore. When they arrived, Washington testified today that he asked them what took so long, and that Moore replied, “We had to go back.” When Washington asked why, Moore told him, “To go kill everybody,” Washington said.

In March, the first jury deadlocked 11-1 in favor of convicting Moore, 35, and acquitted his co-defendant, Edward Washington, 33, on the murder charges.

In the first trial, Kimani Washington admitted to participating in the robbery but said he left before the killings took place. He has agreed to testify against Moore in exchange for a lighter recommended sentence of 16 to 18 years on armed robbery charges.