Sports Sportsin partnership with NESN your connection to The Boston Globe
Boston Marathon Course section

All in all, a completely satisfying experience

By Marvin Pave, Globe Staff, 4/17/2001

ast Friday, the Globe profiled six ''Faces in the Pack,'' among the 15,000-plus runners in the Boston Marathon field.

They ran to raise money for special causes or simply for the challenge. For each, it was a special celebration of fitness and accomplishment and the coming of spring - and a time to share the experience with friends and family.

Here's how they fared.

Doris Beatty, 66, had hoped to finish in five hours or less. The Falmouth resident didn't make it, but her 5:13 was, nevertheless, 21 minutes faster than last year's time.

''It was very warm at the start and I had to do some walking here and there because I had leg cramps,'' said Beatty, a retiree who will soon begin her summer job selling tickets for the Island Queen ferry on the Cape. ''I had a friend join me at Mile 17 and that really helped.''

Beatty, who is secretary of the Falmouth Track Club, was cheered on by some of its members who were volunteering at the 30K mark.

''That made the day an awesome one for me,'' she said.

Bob Cunningham, 40, a Westford resident who is associate vice president for development at Boston College, was a winner in more ways than one.

His clocking of 3:10 qualified him for next year's Boston Marathon in his age group, and he raised more than $5,500 for the CJ Valley Memorial Fund. The fund, which is administered by the UMass Memorial Children's Medical Center in Worcester, aids research in pediatric immunology.

''I was shooting for three hours or better,'' said the former Holy Cross cross-country runner. ''I started to slide around Heartbreak Hill, but seeing my friends and family at the 211/2-mile mark really picked up my spirits.''

Cunningham celebrated his performance with a night out on the town with his wife, Liz, and their three children Andrew, Grace, and Mary.

Timothy Kelly, 34, of Weymouth, who is paraplegic, gave his all during his first Boston and second marathon overall. His 2:08 time was just short of qualifying for Boston 2002 in the wheelchair division, but, he said, ''This won't be my last marathon. Today, I found out why they call it Heartbreak Hill. It took a toll on me, but while I'm not happy, I'm certainly not discouraged.''

Kelly, a materials manager at Dyna-Fab in Rockland, said it was a valuable learning experience and that he was treated first-class by the race organizers.

Robbie Silverman, 20, a junior at Harvard and executive news editor for the student newspaper, the Crimson, struggled near the finish line because of dehydration, but made it in three hours flat to reach his goal of qualifying for next year. Silverman, a former Newton South track and cross-country captain, didn't run as fast as he did in last fall's Bay State Marathon, but he said, ''I'm still happy with it. I just need a lot of rest now.''

Robyn Tice, 35, a Belmont resident and public relations director at State Street Research of Boston, made her first Boston Marathon experience a successful one.

Tice, who as a high school runner in Suffern, N.Y., was part of the school's national record-setting sprint medley relay team, finished in 4:12, a little slower than she had hoped. Still, she called her day ''unbelievable. The crowds were great. I can't believe it's over.''

Tice, who raised more than $50,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society as part of the Team in Training Program, celebrated her day with her parents, Bob and Susan, who came up from North Carolina, and her sister, Dawn, who also resides in Belmont.

Tice, who has served as media liaison at the Falmouth Road Race, ran yesterday in memory of a former co-worker, Brian O'Dell, who died of leukemia last October.

Sandy Xenos, 49, a Hopkinton resident and highly successful women's tennis coach at Stonehill College, had to overcome early problems with a nagging Achilles' tendon injury that flared up at the 3-mile mark. But Xenos refused to give in, finishing in 5:01.

While it was the veteran marathoner's worst time in Boston, just being able to overcome the pain of her injury and make it to Copley Square, she said, ''was very satisfying. I knew training I'd have to deal with it.''

Xenos, who raised more than $2,000 for the Red Cross, was greeted by some special people in her life at the finish - her parents, Sully and Fran, of Mashpee; her sister and brother-in-law, Linda and Ed Gillooly of Weston, and their daughter Sara; Xenos's roommate Marilyn Nicosia; and a close friend, Dr. Paula Marella.

This story ran on page G11 of the Boston Globe on 4/17/2001.
© Copyright 2001 Globe Newspaper Company.

Race Day Coverage
Stuck at work? Check out out stride-by-stride webcast for up-to-the-minute Boston Marathon updates.