Sports Sportsin partnership with NESN your connection to The Boston Globe
Boston Marathon Course section


Missions accomplished

By Marvin Pave, Globe Staff 4/18/00

Last Friday, the Globe profiled six individuals who competed in yesterday's Boston Marathon _ ``Faces in the Crowd'' from among the nearly 18,000 official entrants.

For some, expectations fell short because of the windy, chilly conditions. For others, their times met or exceeded their goals. For all, it was a day of accomplishment.

MARTIN DUFFY, 59, of Belmont, whose close friends John Natale and Ted Hammett had T-shirts made to commemorate his 31 consecutive Boston Marathon finishes, lived up to his billing, going the route in 3:49.27 _ for consecutive finish No. 31.

``I had hoped for 3:30, but with the wind and some cramping at Mile 6, it was not a record-setting day for me,'' said Duffy, an economist and management consultant. ``But it was still a great experience and I had my human chain waiting for me at the finish line, all wearing the T-shirts. My time didn't qualify me for next year, but I will qualify later this spring or in the fall. The wind was more of a factor than I thought it would be, but the crowd was special, just wonderful.''

ADAM ELLIS of Sharon made his return to the men's wheelchair division after a three-year hiatus. Ellis, 29, who runs the family insurance business in Natick and Franklin, had hoped to break 2:15 _ his personal best was 2:02 in Boston five years ago _ but the cold weather hampered him.

``It was a tough day, but I still managed to qualify for next year in just under 2:45,'' he said. ``I was in first place [in the quad division] at the 20-mile mark, but six or seven people passed me. The cold really got to me. I thought about my fiancee [Cyndy Sobie] and that got me through to the finish. It's the hardest Boston I've done _ but I'll be back.''

It was both a reunion and a successful race for Hopkinton's PAULA GARLAND, who invited her friend, Marianne Short, to run with her. Short and Garland ran and trained together when they lived in Minnesota. Garland, who ran an adjusted unofficial time of 3:35, bested by five minutes her goal for this year despite falling down at Mile 3.

``It was an accident, those things happen,'' said Garland, ``but at least it happened early. Marianne did well, too, and my husband, Walter, PR'd by 13 minutes [4:04], so it was a good day all around. It was windy, but the cold weather didn't bother me. I run better in cold weather than hot.''

Garland, 41, a contract programmer, had already qualified for next year's Boston Marathon.

ERIC HALL, 53, an environmental engineer from Newton, joked that ``at least the air was clean today.'' Hall's chip time was around 3:21, just around what he had hoped.

``It was cool and there was a bit of a headwind, which I could have done without, but what slowed me was a quad cramp at the large downhill in Wellesley near Lower Falls. Initially, I was concerned about finishing, but I knew so many people in Newton, I didn't want to have to explain to them why I didn't pass by.''

Hall, nevertheless, managed to qualify for next year, and he said, ``It felt good to see that finishing banner as I turned the corner onto Boylston Street.''

It had been a busy weekend for West Roxbury attorney ROB KERWIN. Last Saturday, Kerwin, who is president of the Friends of Brandeis University Athletics, was on hand for the school's annual Hall of Fame inductions. He attended his brother-in-law's wedding Sunday.

And yesterday, representing the Parkway Running Club, Kerwin, 43, posted a 4:10, the same clocking as a year ago, and, he said with a laugh, ``I did a little too much disco dancing at the wedding.

``I had a terrific day, though, and all 20 club members finished. I felt the crowds today were the best ever. I must have high-fived a hundred people. What a weekend _ and now tomorrow I'm back to work.''

PAM SILVER, 47, a researcher at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, ran as part of the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge Team for the second consecutive year and finished in 4:10, which was not far from her goal of four hours.

``I probably raised about $2,000 through pledges,'' said Silver, a Cambridge resident. ``It was great fun. A blast. Other team members encouraged me, and vice-versa. The beginning of the race was very crowded, and that probably kept me from running under four hours, but at least I finished.

``I'm pretty sore, but pretty satisfied because of the money I helped raise. Some of my younger friends are partying, but I'm staying in and resting.''

Race Day Coverage
Stuck at work? Check out out stride-by-stride webcast for up-to-the-minute Boston Marathon updates.