Missed Connections Contest
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. Void where prohibited.
The Missed Connections Contest (the "Contest") starts on November 30, 2011 at 12:00:01 pm (noon) ET and ends on December 8, 2011 at 5:00:01 pm ET ("Entry Period"). Judges and Sponsors decisions are final and binding on all matters relating to this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel this Contest at any time without any obligation or prior notice to participants.
1. ELIGIBILITY. Contest is open to legal residents of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont who currently reside therein who are 18 years of age or older at the time of submission . Employees of The Boston Globe, Boston.com (collectively the "Sponsor") any prize provider and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, promotion and advertising agencies, and members of their immediate family (defined as spouse and parent, children and siblings and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and persons living in the same household, whether or not related, of such employees, are not eligible to enter.
2. HOW TO ENTER. Complete an official entry form by following the on-screen instructions at www.boston.com (Contest Site) and upload an essay (500 words or less) telling about a missed connection you experienced Entry. Limited to one Entry per person. All Entries must be received no later than 5:00:01 pm ET on December 8, 2011 and become the sole property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned except as described in these Official Rules.
3. ENTRY REQUIREMENTS.
Each Entry must comply with the following Guidelines:
i. The Entry may not contain any content that is lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, disparaging, defamatory, libelous, obscene, or that otherwise contains inappropriate content or objectionable material as determined by Sponsor in its sole and unfettered discretion.
ii. The Entry must be your original work, created solely by you, and must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other intellectual rights of any person or entity.
iii. The Entry must not contain any personally identifiable information of any person other than you. Should you include personally identifiable information about yourself in your Entry, you acknowledge and agree that such information will be disclosed publicly and you are solely responsible for any consequences thereof.
iv. You may not be: 1) represented under contract (e.g., by literary agent or manager) that would limit or impair Sponsor's ability to display the Submission in any media form; 2) under any other contractual relationship, including but not limited to guild and/or union memberships, that may prohibit you from participating fully in this Contest, or from allowing Sponsor to use royalty-free, the Submission worldwide in all media in perpetuity.
v. The Entry may not contain any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties.
By submitting your Entry, you agree that your Entry conforms to these Official Rules and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify your Entry for any reason at any time, including if it determines, in its sole discretion, that your Entry fails to conform to these Official Rules in any way or otherwise contains unacceptable content as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. By submitting your Entry to Boston.com, you grant Boston.com and The Boston Globe a royalty-free license to publicly display, reproduce, and use the story contained in your Entry in any form or media for any and all editorial and related promotional purposes in perpetuity. However, you will retain the copyright to your Entry. You also warrant that the Entry is your original work, does not violate the copyright or any other personal or property right of any third party, and you have obtained any and all releases and permissions necessary for Sponsors intended use(s). You agree that Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for any unauthorized use of an Entry by third parties. Released Parties also do not guarantee the posting of any Entry.
JUDGING PHASE. Immediately following the Entry Period, Sophie Blackwell will review each eligible Entry and judge all eligible Entries selecting one (1) Potential Grand Prize Winner and three (3) Potential Secondary Prize Winners scoring each Entry on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the lowest). Potential Grand Prize Winner and Secondary Prize Winners shall be referred to as Potential Winners. Judging will be based and weighed on the following criteria: Overall uniqueness of the Entry (70%), and the awkwardness of the situation expressed (30%). In the case of a tie, the Entry involved in the tie with the highest score (1 to 10 and weight) in Uniqueness will be named a Potential Winner. Sponsor reserves the right not to award all prizes if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Entries.
POTENTIAL WINNER NOTIFICATION: Potential Winners will be notified on or about December 9, 2011 at 9:00 am by both email and telephone (messages will not be left on machines). Potential Winners will be required to respond to Sponsors notice no later than twenty-four (24) hours following Sponsors notice and will be required to complete an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity Release (unless prohibited by law) and any other documents required by Sponsor. Failure to respond to the phone call and/or email notification in the twenty-four (24) hour period will be grounds for Sponsor to disqualify the Potential Winner. Failure to sign requested documentation, the inability of Sponsor to contact a Potential Winner within the noted time period or noncompliance with these Official Rules by any Potential Winner will result in disqualification and, at Sponsors sole discretion, the prize may be awarded to a runner-up.
7. PRIZE: One (1) Grand Prize Winner will receive a signed copy of Sophie Blackwells book Missed Connections Love Lost & Found and Sophie Blackwell will illustrate Grand Prize Winners Entry and provide Grand Prize Winner with a print of the illustration (approximate retail value $500.00). Secondary Prize Winners will receive a signed copy of Sophie Blackwells book Missed Connections Love Lost & Found (approximate retail value $13.95). Prizes are awarded as is with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied by Sponsor. You may not substitute, assign or transfer prize or redeem prize for cash, but Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to substitute prize (or portion thereof) with one of comparable or greater value. You are responsible for all applicable federal, state and local taxes, if any, as well as any other costs and expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not specified herein as being provided. All prize details are at Sponsors sole discretion. Limit of one prize per person.
8. GENERAL CONDITIONS: By participating, you agree: (a) to abide by these Official Rules and decisions of Sponsor and judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects relating to this Contest; (b) to release, indemnify, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor, and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotion agencies, and the respective officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents and representatives of the forgoing (collectively, Released Parties) from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys fees), injuries, liability (including settlements), losses and damages of any kind to persons, including death, or property resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from your participation in the Contest or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any awarded prize and (c) to the use of your Entry, name, voice, performance, photograph/video, image and/or likeness for programming, advertising, publicity and promotional purposes in any and all media, now or hereafter known, worldwide and on the Internet, and in perpetuity by Sponsor and its designees, without compensation (unless prohibited by law) or additional consents from you or any third party and without prior notice, approval or inspection, and to execute specific consent to such use if asked to do so. By participating, you also agree not to release any publicity or other materials on your own or through someone else regarding your participation in the Contest without the prior consent of the Sponsor, which it may withhold in its sole discretion.
9. MISCELLANEOUS: Released Parties are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged, inaccurate, stolen, delayed, misdirected, undelivered, or garbled Entries; or for lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections, availability or accessibility or miscommunications or failed computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, lines, or technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing or judging of Entries, the announcement of the prize, the incorrect uploading of the Entry or in any Contest-related materials. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to any person's computer related to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading materials from or use of the Contest Site. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Contest or Contest Site, who act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or who are in violation of these Official Rules, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified and all associated Entries will be void. Should any portion of the Contest be, in Sponsors sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play, or submission of Entries, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest and, if terminated, at its discretion, select the potential Finalists from all eligible, non-suspect Entries received prior to action taken using the judging procedure outlined above.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND OTHER REMEDIES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS FEES) FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
10. APPLICABLE LAWS AND JURISDICTION. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules shall be governed by the laws of the State of Massachusetts, without regard to any principles of conflict of laws. All disputes arising out of or connected with this Contest will be resolved individually, and without resort to class action, exclusively by a state or federal court located in Boston, Massachusetts. Should there be a conflict between the laws of the State of Massachusetts and any other laws, the conflict will be resolved in favor of the laws of the State of Massachusetts. To the extent permitted by applicable law, all judgments or awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket damages (excluding attorneys fees) associated with participation in this Contest and shall not include any indirect, punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages.
11. REQUEST FOR WINNERS LIST: For a list of winners (available after 12/20/2011), send a self-addressed, stamped, envelope by 1/1/2012 to: Missed Connections Contest Winner List, c/o Boston.com, 135 Morrissey Blvd., Boston, MA 02125.
SPONSOR. Boston.com 135 Morrissey Blvd., Boston, MA 02125