Ryan Healy is a personal trainer for the Lynch/van Otterloo (LVO) YMCA in Marblehead. She is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist through the NSCA, and earned her BS in Exercise Sports Science from Elon University. Find more posts by her in conjunction with the LVO YMCA at yhealthandwellness.wordpress.com. She can be reached at email@example.com.
Remember; please consult your doctor before starting any exercise program.
These days we are inundated with a constant flow of information, opinions, and so called “experts” through a multitude of media outlets. We have more access to information than ever before. When it comes to reading about health and fitness, it’s hard to figure out where to look for truthful, practical, and helpful information. To help you sort through all the potential resources out there, I’ve compiled a list of useful and trust worthy sites to help you on your journey to wellness. There are a plethora of great sites on the web, but here are a few of my personal favorites.
1. Precision Nutrition: I’ve had much personal experience with this company and their nutrition education and coaching. I signed up for their women’s Lean Eating program in January 2012 and over the course of 10 months have lost the 40lbs of baby weight and more I needed to. It changed my life in so many great ways. Here’s a link to their free 5 day fat loss courses for women and men, which are filled with helpful tips and documents. Their website also has many free articles that address a broad spectrum of well researched nutrition topics.
2. Ask Georgie: This Registered Dietitian (RD) is famous for her mouth watering healthy recipes, in addition to her scientific yet practical approach to nutrition, which is evident when you read any of the free articles on her website.
3. Brian St. Pierre: I first read Brian’s contribution to Boston’s own, Eric Cressey’s Show and Go Training: Nutrition Guide. I was very impressed at his logical principles and knack for simplification of what can be a very confusing and overwhelming subject at times. His site is filled with great articles, blog posts, and even an extensive resources section.
4. Cassandra Forsythe: Another wonderful RD with a strong educational foundation in fitness and nutrition. She has contributed to numerous major health magazines, and authored several books, and many online articles.
5. Lose It: A great app available here that allows you to set goals, and track your food, weight, blood pressure, hours of sleep, and more! A convenient way to track everything in one place. It even allows you to scan the bar codes on your food so that they’re instantly added to your food log.
1. Experience Life Magazine: This magazine and online source of copious articles and information is dedicated to no-nonsense healthy living and wellness. From nutritious eating to training advice and fitness programs, this publication sorts through all the fluff and gets down to what really matters!
2. Ace Fitness: Not only is ACE a certifying body for personal trainers, but their website offers wonderful resources in terms of their ‘ask the experts’ section in addition to their fit facts and large exercise library that organizes exercises by body part.
3. Core Performance: If you’re looking to improve your fitness or sports performance, this site is for you! It extensively covers functional fitness, flexibility, corrective exercises, warm-ups, mobility exercises, nutrition, lifestyle habits, and much more. They even offer a personalized exercise program for those that want one on one coaching.
4. Alwyn Cosgrove: Owner of one of the most successful gyms in the country, Alwyn is a scientific journal scouring, common sense, pragmatic person and trainer. He’s written many fantastic articles that might make you rethink the way you workout, and has authored several books and other publications.
5. Nick Tumminello: Dedicated to the education of fitness enthusiasts and professionals, Nick owns Performance University, which offers articles and educational products to enhance your learning and understanding of exercise.