Hi there. I'm Adam 12, production director and host for RadioBDC.
As a young man, I scoffed at runners. "I run to escape danger," I'd quip, "not for some twisted sense of pleasure!" Funny thing is, I'm no longer a "young man." And I've learned that, for me, running is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and stay fit.
Like you, though, I struggle to stay motivated. The fact that I run at night doesn't help matters much. The fact that I run to punk and hardcore songs, however, does.
Here's my 10-song punk-rock playlist, primed for a 30-minute run or workout. I know punk isn't your traditional "workout music," but it sure beats exercising to this.
1) Bad Religion "A Walk" - I start all runs with Bad Religion. Once, I ran to an entire Bad Religion album. I almost passed out and had to take a week off. I do not recommend this.
2) The Living End "Roll On" - "We'll roll on with our heads held high!" A great motivator.
3) Iggy Pop "Lust For Life" - Now you're moving. Let the drum beat set the pace for the meat of your run or workout.
4) The Clash "The Guns Of Brixton" - Keep the pace steady with "The Only Band That Matters."
5) Fugazi "Waiting Room" - Feel free to incorporate some of the moves Guy & Ian throw down here into your routine. As you can see, they're quite fit.
6) Quicksand "Fazer" - You've reached the halfway mark. This song will help you churn through without burning out.
7) The Skids "Into The Valley" - Warning: you might find yourself pumping your fist in the air while this plays.
8) Street Dogs "You Alone" - "You alone must stand your ground, take a life worth nothin' and turn it around." Isn't that the whole reason you're working out? To better your life?
9) Dropkick Murphys "Get Up" - Get Up indeed! Push through to the finish!
10) Rancid "Last One To Die" - A positive message as you wind down and pat yourself on the back: you worked out AND rocked out AND you're punk rock!