(Catherine Smart for The Boston Globe)
White baked beans
August 8, 2012
Text size – +
|2||pounds navy beans, picked over and soaked overnight|
|1||pound bacon, cut into|
|1||cup maple syrup|
|3||cloves garlic, chopped|
|1||tablespoon mustard powder|
|1||tablespoon cider vinegar|
|½||teaspoon Worcestershire sauce|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
1. In a large bowl, combine beans with cold water to cover; set aside to soak overnight.
2. Set the oven at 325 degrees. Have on hand a 5-quart casserole.
3. Drain the beans and transfer to the casserole. Add the bacon, maple syrup, onion, garlic, bay leaves, mustard powder, and water. Cover and bake for 3 hours, checking every hour to make sure beans do not dry out. Add more water to the pan if it seems dry.
4. Remove the lid and continue cooking, uncovered, for 1 hour more. Total cooking time is 4 hours.
5. Stir in cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Catherine Smart
© Copyright 2012 Globe Newspaper Company.