Grilled zucchini and onion po’boys with tomatoes and garlic remoulade
For a vegetarian version of the Cajun classic po’boy, grill zucchini and onions and tuck them into a baguette with remoulade, a mayonnaise-based sauce spiked with hot sauce. Slice the squash into long, thick planks so that every bite is filled with the perfect combo of filling and bread. Mix your own Cajun seasoning with dried red peppers, garlic, thyme, and salt or save time with a store-bought blend. Start with a clean, hot grill, and brush the grate generously with oil. That keeps the veggies from sticking without adding extra oil to the sandwich.
|1||teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|Juice of ½ lemon|
|1||tablespoon hot sauce|
|1||clove garlic, finely grated|
|Salt, to taste|
1. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, Tabasco, and grated garlic.
2. Mix well. Taste for seasoning and add more salt, if you like.
|Canola oil (for the grill)|
|2||large zucchini, cut into thick lengthwise planks|
|1||large onion, cut into thick rings|
|2||tablespoons Cajun seasoning|
|1||French baguette, cut into 4 pieces|
|½||leaf or red leaf lettuce, cut into thin strips|
|2||teaspoons olive oil|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1||teaspoon red wine vinegar|
|2||large tomatoes, sliced|
|4||large dill pickles, sliced|
1. Heat a charcoal grill or set a gas grill to medium-high. Brush the grill rack with oil.
2. Sprinkle zucchini and onions with Cajun seasoning. Grill zucchini planks and onions for 5 minutes on each side.
3. Split the bread horizontally. Spread remoulade on the cut sides.
4. In a small bowl, toss lettuce, olive oil, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Layer each sandwich with grilled zucchini, onion, lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles. Serve with hot sauce, if you like. Karoline Boehm