Poached chicken and brown rice salad with lemon vinaigrette
Serves 4 with leftovers
2 cups brown basmati rice, rinsed
3 cups water
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 package (10 ounces) frozen edamame, rinsed with hot water
1/2 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
5 cups chicken stock
Grated rind and juice of 3 lemons
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
1. In a large flameproof casserole, combine the rice, water, and a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover with a lid, and lower the heat. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid in the pan. Transfer rice to a large bowl, and fluff with a fork. Remove 1 1/2 cups rice for the soup.
2. Stir the edamame and scallions into the rice.
3. While the rice is cooking, in a large, deep skillet, combine chicken stock, rind and juice of 1 lemon, garlic, and salt. Bring liquid to a boil. Lower the heat, and add chicken. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast reads 165 degrees.
4. Remove chicken from poaching liquid. Cool slightly, and slice thinly. Refrigerate poaching liquid and 2 chicken breasts for soup.
5. In a bowl, whisk the mustard, salt, pepper, and remaining grated rind and juice of 2 lemons. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Reserve a small amount of dressing to drizzle over chicken. Stir the remaining dressing into the brown rice mixture.
6. Divide rice among 4 shallow bowls. Top each bowl with chicken and a drizzle of vinaigrette. Karoline Boehm Goodnick