|(Donna Turner Ruhlman)|
Raw zucchini salad
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 shallot, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup slivered almonds or coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
1. Cut the zucchini on a diagonal into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Stack them several at a time and cut into fine matchsticks. In a colander, sprinkle the zucchini with 1 teaspoon of the salt.
2. Toss and sprinkle evenly with another 1 teaspoon salt (you’re looking for good distribution of salt). Set the colander in a bowl. Set aside for 10 to 20 minutes (the squash should be limp but still have some bite).
3. In a small bowl, combine the shallot, garlic, and lemon juice.
4. Shake the moisture off the vegetables. Taste them. If too much salt remains, rinse briefly under cool water and pat dry.
5. In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini with the olive oil. Spoon the shallot mixture and pepper over the zucchini and toss again. Garnish with nuts, if using, and parsley. Adapted from “Ruhlman’s Twenty’’