|(Karoline Boehm Goodnick For The Boston Globe)|
Chicken chili with corn bread croutons
|Butter (for the pan)|
|1/3||corn bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
1. Set the oven at 400 degrees. Butter a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Lay the corn bread in the pan. Toast for 10 minutes, turning once, or until cubes are brown and crunchy.
|1||tablespoon canola oil|
|1||large onion, chopped|
|3||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|2||poblano peppers, chopped|
|2||tablespoons spice rub|
|1||teaspoon ground cumin|
|Salt, to taste|
|1||can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes|
|1||can (15 ounces) red kidney beans|
|4||chicken drumsticks, meat cut into 1-inch pieces|
|3||scallions, thinly sliced|
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and poblano peppers. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Add spice rub, cumin, and salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until spices release their aromas.
2. Add tomatoes, beans, and water. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Stir chicken into the mixture. Cook 5 minutes more. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt, if you like.
4. Ladle chili into bowls. Top with croutons and scallions.