|(Karoline Boehm Goodnick for The Boston Globe)|
Makes 1 large cake
Staples of the baking kitchen, used in graceful proportion, can create an irresistible confection. This tender cake, brimming with miniature chocolate chips, is one. It’s beautiful even unbaked. In the mixing bowl, the texture looks like buttercream. Lightly perfumed with vanilla, moistened with half-and-half (to build the desirable texture), and beaten with enough whole eggs, plus an extra yolk, the rich batter is ideal for holding the chips. Sprinkle it generously with confectioners’ sugar to give it a snowy top. The classic cake has a dreamy, old-fashioned taste.
|Butter (for the pan)|
|Flour (for the pan)|
|2 1/4||teaspoons baking powder|
|2 1/3||cups miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips|
|1/2||pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature|
|2||cups granulated sugar|
|4||eggs plus 1 extra yolk|
|2||teaspoons vanilla extract|
|Confectioners’ sugar (for sprinkling)|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch Bundt pan. Dust the pan with flour, tapping out the excess.
2. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt to blend them.
3. In another bowl, toss the chips with 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture.
4. In an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed for 3 minutes. Add the granulated sugar in 3 additions, beating 1 minute after each. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the extra yolk and vanilla.
5. With the mixer set on low speed, add the flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with the half-and-half, beginning and ending with flour. Scrape down the bowl often with a rubber spatula.
6. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand. With a large spatula, stir in the chips.
7. Spoon the batter into the pan and smooth the top. Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake is clean when withdrawn, and the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan.
8. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Carefully invert the cake onto the rack to cool completely.
9. Dust the top of the cake with confectioners’ sugar.