Giant chocolate-chip scone
Makes 1 round
|2||teaspoons baking powder|
|4||tablespoons ( 1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks|
|1||egg plus 1 extra yolk|
|2||teaspoons vanilla extract|
|1||cup semisweet chocolate chips|
|Extra sugar (for sprinkling)|
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and the 3 tablespoons sugar just to blend them.
3. Scatter the butter over the flour mixture. Using a pastry blender or two blunt knives, cut the fat into the flour until it is reduced to pea-size bits.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, egg, extra yolk, and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the flour mixture, scatter the chips on top. With a rubber spatula, stir the mixture to form a dense dough. Knead it lightly in the bowl for 5 to 7 turns.
5. Form the dough into a plump ball about 4 to 5 inches in diameter. Place the ball on the baking sheet and, using a sharp paring knife, slash a shallow “x’’ in the top. Sprinkle the top with extra sugar.
6. Bake the round for 40 minutes or until it sets and turns golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Use a serrated knife to cut it into wedges.