|6||red bell peppers|
|1||tablespoon canola oil|
|1/4||cup grated mixed Parmesan and Romano cheese|
|Salt, to taste|
|1||loaf crusty Italian bread (for serving)|
1. Turn on the broiler. Core the peppers and halve them. Tap out the seeds. Place the peppers, skin sides up, on a rack set in a broiler pan. Broil the peppers for 8 minutes or until the skins blacken in spots and the peppers are somewhat softened. Remove from the broiler and set aside to cool.
2. When peppers are cool enough to handle, rub off the skin that comes off easily - most of the blackened part. It’s not necessary to remove every bit of skin. Cut the peppers into thin strips.
3. In a large, deep skillet, heat the canola oil over low heat. Add the peppers, cover the pan, and cook over low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are very soft.
4. When the peppers are ready, crack the eggs directly into the pan. With a spatula or heatproof rubber scraper, stir the eggs into the peppers, folding and chopping to make a uniform mass. Stir in the cheese and salt. Continue cooking and folding until eggs are set and solid but not dry. Spoon the frittata onto a platter.
5. To serve, cut a chunk of Italian bread, cut it in half, and fill with the egg mixture. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Adapted from Joy Cagno