Serves 20 or more
|2||pounds coarsely ground beef chuck|
|2||pounds ground dark-meat turkey|
|1||pound chorizo, skinned and chopped|
|1 1/2||pounds natural casing hot dogs (Kayem or Maple Leaf brands), cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|2||medium onions, chopped|
|2||large stalks celery, chopped|
|4||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|2||green or red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced|
|2||cans (10 ounces each) chicken broth|
|1||can (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes|
|1||can (8 ounces) tomato sauce|
|12||ounces ginger ale|
|Juice of 1 lime|
|3||cans (4 ounces each) diced green chili peppers|
|5||sliced pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped|
|4 1/2||ounces chili powder|
|2||tablespoons ground cumin|
|1||tablespoon ground oregano|
|1/2||teaspoon dried thyme, crushed|
|1||ounce Hershey’s milk chocolate|
|5||cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar|
|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|Hot pepper sauce, to taste|
2. Add the ground turkey to the pot and cook, stirring often, until browned. Transfer to the colander. Repeat with the chorizo and the hot dogs, cooking the hot dog chunks until they’re slightly browned and begin to “plump.’’ Transfer all the meat to the colander.
3. Wipe out the pot. Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, garlic, and bell peppers. Cook, stirring often, for 15 to 20 minutes or until all the vegetables soften.
4. Return the beef, turkey, chorizo, and hot dogs to the pot. Stir in the chicken broth, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, ginger ale, lime juice, chili peppers, pickled jalapenos, chili powder, cumin, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, chocolate, and honey. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring often.
5. Lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer the chili, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until the flavors are well blended.
6. Add 4 cups of the cheese and simmer 1 hour more. Taste for seasoning and add salt, black pepper, or hot sauce, if you like. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cheddar on top. Adapted from Mike Foley