Rice and bean burritos
|1||tablespoon canola oil|
|1||medium onion, finely chopped|
|1||clove garlic, finely chopped|
|1||teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/2||teaspoon chili powder|
|2||cups long-grain white rice, rinsed|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
2. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, and turmeric. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, or until the spices are aromatic.
3. Add the rice, water, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer for 16 minutes or until tender.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like.
|8||flour tortillas (10 inches)|
|4||cups cooked rice|
|2||cups vegetarian chili|
|2||tomatoes, roughly chopped|
|1||cup shredded cheddar|
|1||ripe avocado, pitted and diced|
|1/2||cup sour cream|
|1/2||bunch fresh cilantro, chopped|
|Hot sauce, to taste|
2. Lay the tortillas on the counter. In a mound from the tops to the bottoms of each one, layer rice, chili, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and a dash of hot sauce.
3. Fold the top and bottom edges of a tortilla over the filling. Roll the tortilla up, completely encasing the filling. Wrap in foil (wrap in parchment if reheating in microwave tomorrow). Set them on the baking sheet. Continue folding the remaining tortillas.
4. Heat the burritos for 20 minutes or until hot in the center.