Roasted broccoli with pine nuts and raisins
|3||large broccoli crowns or 2 heads broccoli, stems removed|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1/4||cup pine nuts|
|1/2||cup golden raisins|
2. In a large deep saucepan fitted with a steamer rack and filled with several inches of boiling water, steam half the broccoli in a covered pan for 3 minutes or until it is no longer raw but not yet tender (it will cook more later). Remove from the pan and transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet in one layer. Steam the remaining broccoli in the same way and transfer to the sheet. Let the broccoli cool. Brush with vegetable oil. (Prepare ahead 1 day up to this point; cool, cover, and refrigerate.)
3. Set the oven at 400 degrees.
4. Sprinkle the broccoli with salt and pepper. Roast it for 15 to 18 minutes or until it is tender but still has some bite.
5. Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the olive oil until hot. Add the pine nuts and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until they are golden. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the raisins.
6. Arrange the broccoli on a platter, spoon the pine nuts and raisins on top. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Sheryl Julian