|(Food Styling/Lisa Falso; Jonathan Wiggs/Globe Staff)|
|Olive oil (for the sheet)|
|4||zucchini, halved lengthwise|
|1 1/4||pounds Italian sweet sausage, removed from the casing|
|1/4||pound ground beef|
|3/4||cup bread crumbs|
|1/3||cup grated Romano cheese|
|1||egg, lightly beaten|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|6||tablespoons olive oil|
2. Halve the zucchini lengthwise. Use a spoon or melon baller to remove the seeds.
3. In a bowl combine the sausage, ground beef, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, Romano, onion, egg, salt and pepper. Mix gently but thoroughly.
4. Drizzle the zucchini with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Pack the filling into the shells. Set the zucchini on the baking sheet.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until the zucchini is tender when pierced with a skewer.
6. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the remaining 1/4 cup bread crumbs with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle the mixture onto the zucchini. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the bread crumbs brown.
7. Drizzle each half with pesto. Lisa Falso