Makes 16 to 18
These won second place at the 4th annual Farm Field Day at Volante Farms in Needham. Contestant Michaela Gold, 14, based the cake on a recipe she found on allrecipes.com, and added her own cream and fruit garnish.
|Butter (for the pans)|
|2 1/3||cups flour|
|1||tablespoon baking powder|
|1 1/2||cups granulated sugar|
|1 1/2||cups skim milk|
|1||teaspoon vanilla extract|
1. Set the oven at 325 degrees. Butter 16 or 18 small tart pans.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and granulated sugar. Whisk to blend them.
3. In an electric mixer, combine the oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Beat at low speed for 1 minute to mix them well.
4. Add the flour mixture and beat at high speed for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Divide the batter among the pans. Set them on a rimmed baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until cakes are cooked through and golden at the edges. Transfer to a rack to cool slightly. Remove from the pans and let the cakes cool completely.
|1/2||cup heavy cream|
|1/2||teaspoon vanilla extract|
|1||cup confectioners’ sugar|
1. In a bowl, combine the cream and vanilla. Add confectioners’ sugar and stir until thoroughly combined.
2. Add cornstarch, stir well, and set aside for 2 minutes.
|2||kiwi, peeled and thinly sliced|
|16||to 18 strawberries, hulled and halved|
|8||to 9 seedless grapes, halved|
|About 1/2 cup blueberries|
1. Arrange the little cakes on a platter. Set 1 slice kiwi, 1 strawberry, 1 grape half, and a few blueberries on each one in a pattern. Drizzle with vanilla cream. Adapted from Michaela Gold