Colored bell peppers give this salad a bright and dressy look. To make it more substantial, top with strips of grilled chicken or flank steak and serve with toasted pita wedges.
|3||large bell peppers (a mix of red, yellow, and orange)|
|6||tablespoons olive oil|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|4||ounces soft plain goat cheese|
|3||tablespoons chopped fresh mint|
|3||tablespoons thinly sliced fresh chives|
|2||tablespoons balsamic vinegar|
|1||shallot, finely chopped|
|6||ounces baby spinach|
2. Toss the peppers with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Grill the peppers, turning often, for 8 minutes or until they are charred and tender.
3. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside for 10 minutes. With your finger and a paring knife, peel off the skins. Core the peppers and cut them into slices.
4. In a shallow bowl, mash the goat cheese with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mint, the chives, and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper.
5. In another bowl, whisk the vinegar, salt, pepper, shallot. Beat in the remaining 5 tablespoons olive oil.
6. In a large bowl, toss the spinach with half the dressing. Transfer to 4 plates, crumble the goat cheese on top. Add peppers, drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of mint. Tony Rosenfeld