Makes one 9-inch square
|Butter (for the dish)|
|1 1/2||cups flour|
|1||tablespoon baking powder|
|1 1/2||cups yellow cornmeal|
|6||tablespoons butter, melted and cooled|
|1/3||cup canola oil|
|1 1/2||cups milk|
|2||eggs, lightly beaten|
1. Set the oven at 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking dish. Line the bottom with parchment paper and butter the paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Whisk in the cornmeal.
3. In another bowl, whisk the butter, oil, milk, and eggs. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture. With a spoon, stir thoroughly.
4. Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cornbread comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Make 2 cuts in each direction to form 9 squares. Christine Merlo