Makes 1 large rectangular cake
|Butter (for the pan)|
|1/2||cup slivered almonds|
|1/2||cup light brown sugar|
|6||tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature|
|1||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
2. In a small baking dish, spread out the almonds. Toast them in the oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Leave to cool.
3. In a food processor, combine the almonds and flour. Pulse the mixture until the almonds are coarsely chopped. Add the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and salt. Continue to pulse until the mixture forms pea-size clumps.
|2 1/2||cups flour|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|1||teaspoon baking soda|
|1/2||cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature|
|1||cup light brown sugar|
|2||teaspoons vanilla extract|
|1 3/4||cups sour cream|
1. In bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar at medium speed for 2 minutes or until smooth and fluffy.
3. With the mixer on low speed, beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Beat just until blended.
4. Pour batter into the pan. Sprinkle the streusel mixture on top. Bake 60 to 70 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
5. Transfer the cake to a wire rack. Serve warm or cool to room temperature, wrap in foil, and let the cake sit overnight before serving.