|2||cups milk, heated until scalding|
|2||cups heavy cream|
|1||box (12 ounces) vanilla wafers|
2. In a heavy saucepan combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Gradually whisk in the scalded milk. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until it thickens slightly.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Whisk in 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture. When it is smooth, stir the yolk mixture into the remaining milk mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until it is thicker than heavy cream and can coat the back of a spoon.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the custard; set aside to cool.
5. In an electric mixer, beat the cream until it holds stiff peaks. Fold about half the whipped cream into the custard mixture.
6. To assemble the pudding: Peel and slice the bananas. Spread a layer of custard in the bottom of the bowl. Layer the wafers, bananas, and custard in the bowl, ending with a layer of wafers. Top with the remaining whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Jonathan Levitt